It is almost feeling springlike some days now, with glimmers of sunshine through the rain and mud! I love the season of spring with its promise of a new beginning and re-emergence after the long winter months.
Here, Wendy Young shares some of her wisdom and recommendations to make the most of the 7 days leading up to the Spring Equinox to cleanse our bodies and minds, and plant some seeds for the upcoming spring:
“Can you make room for slowness in your life? To feel and appreciate the sounds, sights and scents of spring life unfolding?
As we welcome the wonders of spring with warmer weather, the return of animals and the growth of plants from their winter hibernation, we also undergo an internal transformation. According to Charaka Samhita, a great Ayurvedic sage, 7 days before and after the Spring Equinox is the transition time to slowly make the changes necessary to joyfully welcome in the new season. This junction of the seasons is also the best time to cleanse. The Spring Equinox is Saturday 21st March.
Our bodies and minds are a reflection of nature, and often need only the slightest nudge to return to their natural state of vitality and clarity. When we make changes to our lifestyle and our food that are in harmony with the seasons and with our unique body-mind constitution, we strengthen our immunity. This supports an optimal state of health and is a simple way to energise our body, enhance our creativity and open us up to new possibilities.
Nature teaches us that space contains infinite potential and is the seed of all creation. From the space, quiet and rest of winter, comes the potential for rebirth and new possibilities of spring. I invite you to take a few moments now to reflect on what seeds you wish to plant this spring? They could be seeds pertaining to your health, to personal transformation and spiritual growth, to birthing a new relationship or career… the possibilities are endless… the seeds of spring are yours for the planting!
Suggested Spring routine:
- Wake up about 30 minutes before sunrise. It’s important to be up and moving before the sun rises as this moves toxins and stagnant lymph that have accumulated overnight.
- Morning routine can include: warm lemon and/or ginger water upon waking, self massage with warm sesame seed oil before your shower, skin brushing (twice a week) and a brisk early morning walk!
- Clean up your diet: just as we spring clean our home it’s time to spring clean our inner home. Avoid heavy and dulling foods like excess dairy, wheat, oily and cold foods. Eat warming and astringent foods, spicing them up with cloves, ginger, cumin, mustard seeds and black pepper. Green juicing is a great way to detox the liver and cells.
- Enjoy some type of dynamic daily exercise. The best way to reduce the heaviness and stagnation from the cold months is to move the lymph and blood that circulate throughout the body.
- Slowly energize your yoga practice with more challenging asanas which focus on the chest and include stimulating breathing practices.
- Meditation helps to digest the events of the day on a mental and emotional level allowing you to access the precious present moment. Daily practice is a profound way to help clear the ‘clutter’ from your being and support embodied and conscious living.
I’ve always been inspired by the innate wisdom and abundant beauty of nature, and especially in spring by the delicate floral scents and vibrant colours of the new shoots and leaves. Remember to pause, take a breath and enjoy the magic of slow spring unfolding!”
We’re looking forward to offering a Summer Solstice workshop with Wendy – please watch this space for more details, and remember you can contact Wendy directly for individual sessions, including remote Skype sessions: www.wise-living.co.za or +44 (0)7388 491 990.
For those of you who are excited about getting out into nature after a long winter, there are only a few weeks to go till the start of our season on 1st April! Contact us today to grab one of the few remaining April weekend spots available!
We still have some limited Easter holiday space available too – check availability and secure your spot here.